Mother – The very first person who we learn to love in life and the one who we learn to love from.
Mother/Ma/Mom : The first word that a child learns to speak
Mother : Every child’s first teacher, role model, friend, confidante, guide, a necessity at every stage
It’s unbelievable that a person is capable of loving another so much. God forgot to set a limit to mother’s love. There’s this invisible bond that ties a mother to her child, no matter how far or near they are, a mother always seems to sense her child’s needs.
It’s strange how our relationship with our mothers changes with time – When we are small, our mother means the world to us. Then as we grow, we make friends and move ahead in life. We are in such a great hurry to grow up that we dont like mom fussing over us, we find her love and care irritating. We find her over possessive. And then one day we realize that she’s someone who’s always been there with us through thick and thin, always giving us all her support, someone who we can always rely on, someone who we can share everything with, someone who always has something nice to say, a best friend one can ever get.
It usually happens that we realize only too late in life that we should have spent a little more time with our parents, given them more importance – that’s something they deserve. Why does it always happen that we tend to take people who mean the most to us for granted? Why do we always expect them to understand and spare us for somebody else? We all love our mothers, our parents, but just loving them is not enough. We also need to show it, tell them how much they mean to us. It makes them feel so much happier.
Mothers are special and we need to make them feel so more often, not just on this day. This post is dedicated to all the wonderful mothers out there –
1. Koi aane wala hai (Mera Qasoor Kya Hai,1964) : The delight that a couple feels when they realize that they are expecting and all that they do to welcome their child into this world is something that can be never expressed in words. Just the news of a child’s arrival fills their life with so much of happiness.
Aane se pehle hai woh mere nigahon mein
Ankhiyan bichhaye baitha main bhi hoon raahon mein
The joy of impending parenthood is depicted so beautifully in this song.
2. Mera sooraj hai tu (Aradhna, 1969) : This song has become symbolic representation of a mother-son relationship in Hindi films. Be it a son or a daughter, a child is always the apple of mother’s eyes. With time, things change, we grow, our priorities in life change, but one thing that always remains constant is mother’s love. It’s something that can only increase with time.
3.Chanda mama door ke (Vachan, 1955): Feeding a child, putting him/her to sleep is not an easy task. Mother has to run behind the child, play with them, play multiple roles at the same time and yet a mother never complains of it. Bringing up a child is a full-time job. Only a mother can manage work, home, children at the same time and that too with such perfection.
4.Tu kitni achhi hai, tu kitni bholi hai (Raja Aur Runk, 1968) : A mother’s thought is never alone, it always has her children in them. She spends sleepless nights changing karvats, I mean diapers and attending to her child and yet she never tires. She finds happiness in her child’s happiness, her heart breaks into million pieces when she sees her child hurt. Her child’s well-being is everything that a Mother ever asks for.
Mere liye jaagi hai tu saari saari ratiyaan,
Meri nindiyaan pe apni nindiyaan bhi
Tune maari hai, o maa o maa
5. Maa mujhe apne aanachal mein chhupa le (Chhota Bhai, 1966) : We usually take our mothers for granted and dont value them as much as we should. They deserve a lot more than what we give them. And no matter how big we grow and how successful we become, we will always feel the need for our mothers in life. Life without a mother is just so incomplete.
6. Usko nahin dekha humne kabhi (Dadi Maa, 1966) : How can we talk about mothers and not talk about this song. I still remember the first time I had heard this song on radio when I was in hostel, along with Tu kitni achhi hai, I had literally cried. If there’s anybody on earth who’s equivalent to god, then it has to be our mothers.
7. Chham chham chham chale woh ma (Sahara, 1958) : Parents always want everything to be the best for their children. It’s a mother’s love and care that moulds a child to what he/she becomes later on. It’s always the mother who lays the foundation, teaches her child to love, learn, dream, hope, forgive and the list just goes on and on.
8. Mere ghar aayi ek nanhi pari (Kabhi Kabhi, ) : Another example of how an arrival of a child brings in so much of happiness to parents. Their entire life begins revolving around their child. For every parent, their child is always the best in the world and they can go to any extent to protect them and to make their dreams come true.
Dekh kar us ko jee nahin bharta
Chaahe dekhun usse hajaar baar
9. Main kabhi batlata nahin (Taaren Zameen Par, 2007) : Tujhe sab hai pata, hai na Ma – that part is so touching! One of those few songs of recent times that I really like. This a song that we all can relate ourselves to – At one point of time or the other we all have felt the same way. It reminds me so much of the day I left home and went to hostel for the first time.
10. Maa meri maa (Dasvidhaniya,2008) : It’s strange how we find mothers fussing over us irritating but when we are away from them, that’s exactly what we crave for the most.
It’s been almost 13 years I’ve been away from home, from my parents. And everytime I call home, the first thing mom says is – I was waiting for your call the whole day. If I call in the morning today and in the evening the following day, she says – it’s been ages since I spoke to you.
Her day remains incomplete if any of us (my brother, sister and me) dont call and speak to her. Any child in the neighbourhood learns to speak and she starts talking about how we were at that age, the way we used to pronounce certain words. Everything that happens around her in her day today life reminds her of us. At times it’s hard to believe that she manages to live without us.
Mothers are little emotional, their love knows no boundaries, they always think that we are too young to take care of ourselves and we cannot do anything right….but that’s how god has made mothers and we love them the way they are. Happy Mothers Day!
P.S : I came across this song in one of the musical groups in facebook this morning. It’s so good I just couldnt help sharing it here –
Maa, pyaari maa, godh mein teri khela bachpan